Dark Chocolate Mocha Cake
- 1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 3/4 cups sugar
- 3/4 cup cocoa powder
- 2 tsps baking soda
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- 1 cup buttermilk, shaken
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 2 eggs, room temperature
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 cup hot coffee
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Prepare two 8-inch round cake pans – Line with parchment, then butter and flour the pans (or use “PAM for Baking”).
1. Sift the flour, sugar, cocoa, baking soda, baking powder, and salt into the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with a paddle attachment and mix on low speed until combined.
2. In another bowl or large measuring cup, combine the buttermilk, oil, eggs, and vanilla. Gently whisk.
3. With the mixer on low speed, slowly add the wet ingredients to the dry. With mixer on the lowest setting, add the coffee and stir just to combine – scrape up from the bottom to make sure all the flour is incorporated. Batter will be very thin and runny- don't worry!
4. Pour the batter into the prepared pans and bake for 30-35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool in the pans for 10 minutes, then turn them out onto a cooling rack to complete cooling.
Chocolate Cream Cheese Frosting/Filling
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 4 oz cream cheese, softened
- 4 cup powdered sugar
- 1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 Tbsp chocolate syrup
- 1-2 Tbsp milk
Beat butter and cream cheese for 3-5 minutes, until fluffy. Bean in powdered sugar, cocoa powder, chocolate syrup and 1 Tbsp milk. Beat for an additional 3-5 minutes, adding more milk to get desired consistency.
I used this frosting to fill the cake with and to do the crumb coating on the sides and cover the top.
- 1 tbsp instant coffee powder
- 2 tbsp boiling water
- 3-oz unsweetened or dark chocolate (I used Ghirardelli's bittersweet), chopped
- 3/4 cup butter, room temperature
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 3 cups confectioners’ sugar
Directions:In a medium sized, microwave-safe bowl, combine instant coffee and boiling water. Stir to completely dissolve coffee. Add chocolate to the bowl and allow the hot water to begin to melt the chocolate, stirring occasionally. If the chocolate does not melt, microwave mixture in 20-30 second intervals until chocolate is melted. Set aside to cool completely.
In a large bowl, beat butter until fluffy and creamy. Beat in vanilla extract and cooled chocolate mixture. Gradually blend in the confectioners’ sugar and beat until frosting is thick and fluffy.I used this frosting to pipe the basket weave on the sides and to make the roses for the top of the cake.
Recipes adapted from:
Dark Chocolate Mocha Cake: click here.
Chocolate Cream Cheese Frosting: click here.
Mocha Frosting: click here.