Sunday, January 26, 2014

Quick Vanilla Buttercream Frosting

My son turned 7 years old yesterday! Of course, we had to have cupcakes for him (what he wanted really). He is very low maintenance and other than vanilla cupcakes with vanilla frosting, he didn't much care what they would be. I figured I'd surprise him with a Spiderman theme and he was thrilled. :) I made 2 dozen vanilla cupcakes and a whole lot of mini brownies decorated in the same way (for the kids in his class who may prefer chocolate to vanilla). Then, I made another two dozen for his Sunday school class. The frosting I used for decorating was a terrific Quick Vanilla Buttercream Frosting I saw over at Mel's kitchen cafe. It is very light, using cream cheese as well as butter, and extremely silky because of the heavy whipping cream. Super easy too! My son said the cupcakes were a big hit in school! :)

 Quick Vanilla Buttercream Frosting

Ingredients:
½ cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, at room temperature
3 ounces cream cheese, at room temperature
1 lb powdered sugar (3 ½ to 4 cups)
¼ cup heavy cream
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract


Directions:
In the bowl of your electric stand mixer, using the paddle attachment, beat the softened butter and cream cheese together until very light and creamy, about 2 minutes. Mix in the vanilla. Add the powdered sugar gradually and mix in fully after each addition. (I like to drape a kitchen towel over the stand mixer while doing this, to avoid a cloud of powdered sugar in my kitchen- it really does help!) Cream at low speed until well blended and creamy. Pour in the heavy cream and whip until the frosting is light and fluffy. Color if desired, frost your cake or cupcakes and enjoy!

* Makes about 4 cups of frosting. 


Recipe source: Mel's kitchen cafe

2 comments:

  1. These cupcakes look adorable. My boys would love them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks a lot, Andrea! My son was very happy with them too. :) And they were so easy to make!

    ReplyDelete

Print recipe

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...